First of six missing workers named – as Baltimore rescue mission becomes a recovery operation

US News

President Biden has promised that he will visit Baltimore “as soon as possible” after a major bridge collapsed – as officials say the rescue mission for the six missing people has now become a recovery operation.

Miguel Luna, from El Salvador, was one of the six people on the Francis Scott Key Bridge when it collapsed after being hit by a 289m-long cargo ship.

Those missing were reported to be construction workers who were on the bridge fixing potholes. All six worked for Brawner Builders, and are presumed dead by authorities.

Miguel Luna is missing presumed dead Pic: Family photo via NBC
Image:
Miguel Luna is missing presumed dead. Pic: Family photo via NBC

Baltimore bridge latest: Follow live updates

You Might Like

A relative of Mr Luna told Sky News they were distraught as they waited for news about him, and said that some members of his family were taken by police to a location in Baltimore where they could be with the other families of the missing.

Jose Campos, a colleage of Mr Luna, also told Sky: “My supervisor called me in the morning and told me they had rescued one of my colleagues but he was in a coma.

“I never imagined something this awful could happen. The path where the boat goes was supposed to be a safe zone.”

More from US

The 1.6-mile long bridge crashed into the Patapsco River at 1.30am local time (5.30am UK time) on Tuesday. Joe Biden was quick to say to the “People of Baltimore, we’re with you,” and added the search and rescue operation was a “top priority”.

The search has now been suspended for the night and will resume at first light, but US Coast Guard and Maryland State Police officials have said that based on the frigid temperature of the water and the length of time that had elapsed since the bridge came down there was little if any chance that the six could be found alive.

Francis Scott Key Bridge

Eight people were initially unaccounted for, with two of them having been rescued from the water.

One of them is described as being in a “very serious condition” in hospital while the other was not injured.

Meanwhile, the US president said the federal government will cover the “full cost” of rebuilding the bridge. He said it may emerge a private company was responsible for the disaster, but his government is “not going to wait” to begin the rebuilding process.

Mr Biden told reporters at the White House: “It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge and I expect Congress to support my effort.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Everything we know about the Baltimore bridge collapse.

The US president continued: “Everything so far indicates that this was a terrible accident. At this time we have no other indication, no other reason to believe there’s any intentional act here.

Personnel on board the ship were able to alert the Maryland Department of Transportation that they had lost control of their vessel.”

Mr Biden added that this meant local authorities were able to close the bridge before it was struck which “undoubtedly saved lives”.

He continued: “Our prayers are with everyone involved in this terrible accident and all the families [affected], especially those waiting for news of their loved one right now. I know every minute in that circumstance feels like a lifetime.”

Read more:
‘Huge implications’ as bridge collapses forces port to close
Baltimore ship’s four critical minutes before collision
Two possible causes for the disaster

👉 Listen above then tap here to follow the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts 👈

The US president also said authorities will be working to get the port open again as soon as possible.

The Port of Baltimore, which is accessed or departed by going underneath the bridge, is one of the US’ largest shipping hubs.

Mr Biden said 15,000 jobs depend on the port.

“We’re going to do everything we can to protect those jobs,” he added.

He continued: “I’ve directed my team to move heaven and earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible.”

Francis Scott Key Bridge

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘They thought it was an earthquake’

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Timeline of Baltimore bridge collapse

Baltimore fire department’s communications chief Kevin Cartwright has said there were multiple vehicles on the bridge when it was struck by the ship, one of which was the size of a tractor trailer.

CCTV and marine tracking data shows the ship, known as the Dali, lost power, adjusted its course and started smoking about 60 seconds before it hit the bridge.

According to the timings on the CCTV, the vessel hit the structure at 1.28:44am – with the bridge collapsing four seconds later.

All 22 crew members on board the ship, including the two pilots, have been accounted for and there were no reports of injuries.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said in a news conference that its investigators will not board the Dali on Tuesday.

The authority’s chair Jennifer Homendy said the decision has been made to give “some time to the search and recovery effort”.

“We did not want to interfere,” she added.

Ms Homendy explained the NTSB will be able to provide more information in the “coming days”, and voyager data recorder information will be “critical”.

She said the NTSB will be leading the investigation and the Coast Guard will support it.

The same ship was previously involved in a minor incident when it hit a quay at the Port of Antwerp in Belgium in 2016, according to Vessel Finder and maritime accident site Shipwrecklog.

The vessel was reportedly damaged in the incident, but there were no injuries or pollution issues reported.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Aerial view of Baltimore bridge crash

Map

Meanwhile, Mayor of Baltimore, Brandon Scott has declared a local state of emergency which will be in place for the next 30 days as the search for the missing continues.

The NTSB is also conducting an investigation into the incident.

The Singapore-flagged ship was headed to Colombo in Sri Lanka at the time of the collision.

It was chartered by Danish shipping company Maersk, which said it was “horrified by what has happened”. It said its thoughts were with everyone affected.

The Port of Baltimore is the 11th largest in the US, meaning its closure will cause knock-on effects for the industry.

Built in 1977, the Francis Scott Key Bridge is one of the longest continuous truss bridges in the world, according to the National Steel Bridge Alliance.

It was named after the writer of The Star-Spangled Banner, the national anthem of the US, which was penned after a War of 1812 US-UK battle in Baltimore harbour.

Articles You May Like

The Democrat’s Shameless Lawfare against Trump and the American People
The PERFECT analogy to explain why Caitlin Clark’s WNBA salary makes sense
John Cleese on Cancel Culture: An ‘Organized … Totalitarian’ Movement
NBC’s Alba Wrongly Hints Columbine Mass Shooters Bought Guns Legally
Eroding the Electoral College Erodes Americans’ Voting Rights

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *