Robert Card, the man suspected of killing 18 people and wounding 13 others in Maine mass shootings earlier this week, has been found dead.
“The suspect in Wednesday nights shootings has been located and is deceased,” the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office noted in a Facebook post.
During a news conference on Friday night, Maine Department of Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said that the individual had an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
“Like many people, I’m breathing a sigh of relief tonight knowing that Robert Card is no longer a threat to anyone,” Maine Gov. Janet Mills (D) said during the press conference.
In a statement earlier on Friday, Mills noted that she knew one of the shooting victims.
“It is often said that our state is ‘one big, small town’ because Maine is such a closeknit community. As a result, many of us know the victims personally, including me, who lost a friend in Josh Seal, who Maine people fondly remember from his service as an ASL interpreter during our COVID-19 briefings,” Mills said in the statement. “I am heartbroken for the families of these victims, including Aaron Young who was just fourteen years old. Tonight, I ask Maine people to join me in reading their stories, learning who they were, celebrating them as beloved people, and mourning them as irreplaceable.”
Live: Police update on Maine suspect found dead | LiveNOW from FOXwww.youtube.com
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!