The charity golf tournament headed by Buffalo Bills safety Jordan Poyer
is back on after being initially cancelled over backlash against it being held at a Trump golf course.
Poyer addressed the controversy on Saturday when he reluctantly cancelled the event after a major sponsor pulled out based on their enmity against former President Donald Trump.
“They decided they didn’t want to take part in my tournament in which they took part in last year because of where it’s at, at Trump National Doral in South Florida,” the football player said at the time.
On Friday, Poyer announced on Fox News that they had found another sponsor and the golf charity was back on.
“The great news is that the tournament is going to happen,” Poyer said. “We had the most amount of tremendous support around the country. We had a sponsor — PublicSq — based right out here in Florida, they’re going to sponsor the entire tournament.”
He added that the tournament was scheduled for the same time and place.
Michael Seifert, founder and CEO of PublicSq,
made a statement about the tournament to Fox News Digital.
“PublicSq is proud to partner with Jordan Poyer,” he said. “We’re glad to see he’s standing against the cancel-culture mob that tried to shut down this charity event, and we will always support freedom-loving Americans like Jordan whenever there is an opportunity to do so.”
While Poyer seemed to moderate his tone about the cancellation, his girlfriend, Rachel Bush, was far more outspoken about her displeasure.
“Let’s be very clear. Jordan did not cancel his event. We will always stand proudly with our beliefs and hold true to them. Publicly. And we can easily spend our own money to fund the tournament. It wasn’t about that,” she wrote at the time.
“Tournament will be at same spot next year. Trump’s course,” Bush concluded.
Here’s the video segment with Poyer:
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!